Tuesday, June 1, 2010

More on Greg Boyle, SJ of Homeboy Industries

I just finished reading Tattoos on the Heart - Greg Boyle, SJ. Took all of two days and I would recommend it to everyone. Consolation and desolation in every page... sometimes in the same paragraph. Happy, sad and inspiring from cover to cover.

I hope it becomes a best seller so Homeboy Industries can start hiring again. Do yourself a favor and put it on your summer reading list. Once read you'll also be counting your blessings.

The following From America Magazine's blog:



Greg Boyle, S.J., founder of Homeboy Industries, and author of Tattoos on the Heart (
which we reviewed here in our piece "Hope for Homies"), was interviewed on May 20 on NPR's "Fresh Air with Terry Gross." (Back in April, he was also a guest on the America podcast.)

As John Coleman, S.J.,
reported in "In All Things" a few weeks back, Homeboy Industries is facing serious financial problems, and has laid off "the bulk of our staff," as its website reported recently. Here Greg talks with Terry Gross about Homeboy, gang ministry, the Jesuits and hope in general. At one point Terry Gross asks him why he became a Jesuit. "What made you feel called in the first place?"

"I liked the Jesuits. They taught me...and they were hilarious and joyful, and nobody funnier on the planet earth than the Jesuits I knew. And they were getting arrested protesting the Vietnam War. I loved both those things. And you put that together and I thought, boy, there's I wanted to with my life. I want to be prophetic and take stands and stand with those on the margins, and I want to laugh as much as I can...."
You can hear the interview here. And you can help Homeboy Industries here. As Greg notes, Angelenos have money to save the Hollywood sign and an alligator named Reggie. How about Homeboy?

James Martin, SJ


PS -- not into reading? Buy a shirt or sweats instead at HOMEBOY Industries!

No comments:

Post a Comment