Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hawks Soar at the Shore + letters...




Tom,

An fyi... the "Soar at the Shore" is cleared (posted on Hawk Board - Hawk Hoops - Hawks Soar at the Shore!) and I'm really excited about it! Believe it or not, I am getting excellent support from SJU thus far. Do you think you could include a memo about it on your blog in the near future? I need to get the word out to as many as possible.

Bobby


Hawks Soar at the Shore '09

Date: Saturday, August 22, 2009
Time: 6:00pm - 10:00pm
Location: La Costa Lounge
4000 Landis Avenue
Sea Isle City, NJ

1 week after the great Hawks by the Bay at Maynard's in Margate, come join your fellow Hawk alumni for even more fun at the shore!

Your $20 entrance fee at La Costa includes:
-'Soar at the Shore' event t-shirt
-special appearances by members of the coaching staff (TBA)
-private outdoor tent with LIVE music on the deck
-draft beer, wine, and soda (special Hawk drink prices for everything else)
-door prizes via raffle (TBA)
-complimentary BBQ buffet


This event is open to all Hawks as well as friends and family of Hawks.

Facebook Hawks Soar at the Shore '09

The main bartender for this event (and one of La Costa's summertime managers) is my former SJU roommate and a VARSITY Hawk.

Ghost of win-win

UPDATE: various prizes will be raffled, including tickets to a home game at the Hagan....

For all of you that are not season ticket holders, you now have 2 opportunities (Hawks by the Bay + Soar at the Shore) to win tickets AND drink frosty beverages at the shore.

Way to run with the ball Flap... great job and may it be a success!





Hello there,

You are getting this email because at one point in time you wanted to see a video of my speech from Graduation. My friend who taped it was finally able to get it on to youtube so below is the link. I hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4QQHRKOxuc

Best wishes,
Alex

Even better than the transcript. Love the shield behind you ;-)




Segue picture....



44,

I haven't spoken to you in quite some time so I thought I would shoot you an email to see how you were doing! My summer has consisted of doing nothing and applying for jobs. But recently-- I've hit the jackpot. I had 2 interviews last week, 1 this week, and already got a call this morning to set something else up with another company. So hopefully, out of these 4, I land a great job.

How is your summer going? Hope everything is going well!!!


Shannon

Good luck with the job hunt, and it would appear we now have a new Cheerleader of the Day -- maybe even Cheerleader of the Year. For more info check out Philadelphia Fight Rugby League Club.








CHEERLEADER OF THE DAY




Tom ,

Hope your are enjoying the summer. I am enjoying the nice weather but every time I get an e-mail or letter about the new arena, I become violently ill. I am sure you are too, as well as all of the REAL Hawk faithful. They (and you know who they are) are becoming what we so intensely hated about villainova. Martelli always is boasting about the passion of the Hawk faithful. It is going to be replaced by the pa$$ion of rich egotistical jerks. If he thinks he is going to see an arena full of passionate fans an hour or so before a game begins even when the Hawks have a sub-500 record, he is out of his mind. One good thing is that his voice will last longer since he will not have to raise it too much to be heard. Something very unique and valuable is being lost here and once it is gone it is gone...outta here. I'm sure opponents and sub-par officials will love coming to the Hagan Arena. I know my seats (now section 112) will be long gone when my turn comes. I will likely be in the rafters if I am lucky enough to get called. If I do manage to get in the arena, I am sure I will spend most of my time yelling at clueless pa$$ionate fans who are just there to be there...when they are there (likely halfway-through the first half...so everyone can see them walk in and way before the game is over so they can get home to see Wall Street Week on tape delay).

This new system can be summed up in one word - EXTORTION. Dangling something we love before our eyes while grabbing for the few bucks left in our wallets. And we have less bucks in our wallets because of those greedy ...... who have no conscience and ruined the economy. Ironically, they will be the ones who will be able to purchase the seats we held so dearly for so long. I hope I get to see you at a Hawk game again but I am not holding my breath. Maybe we will see you at HBTB on the 15th. Take care.

Ghost of Sr. Mary Laurian, CSFN

While I'm on record of not being a fan of the forced charitable contribution ticket plan, I do hope you're wrong about the passion being lost. I don't equate a man's riches with Hawk basketball passion. Moving longtime, loyal season ticket-holders to the upper deck in favor of those who have money and may not show up / come late / leave early... could take away our home court advantage. Sort of like all the empty chairbacks at the Palestra for a sold out game.

I was on the fence about renewing my season tickets. After much discernment I've decided to renew but to get one ticket. If the waiting list is indeed long then it won't matter that they've helped to get rid of a few loyal fans. Perhaps new blood is what they seek. I hope it is crimson though.

I know a great many Hawks -- and they are all so charitable. When I asked them for their help with the Jesuits in Jamshedpur, India, or the Jesuit Urban Service Team at St. Luke's in Camden -- the checks came pouring in. I was really touched. They are so generous to St. Joe's, to their high school alma maters, to many Jesuit charities, to many Catholic charities... they are simple charitable, incorporating the Works of Mercy into their daily lives. But they do so voluntarily, not because they are told to. Otherwise it's not charity, just a higher ticket price.


Stay tuned for a blog entry on our grade school alma mater... still working on it... and as the good Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth instructed us to say, every day, "Praised be Jesus Christ, forever and ever. Amen"


Tom:

What is great in Chicago and many other places there is now a joint cooperative effort with the Nativity-San Miguel- Cristo Rey Schools. I just heard of the book you're reading (More Than a Dream - The Cristo Rey Story - Loyola Press). Shows what can be done. The Camden San Miguel (FSC's) has been in existence at OL of Mt. Carmel-Fatima.


'tis always grand to hear from you. You really are a God-sent. Which altar server were you? The pious one or the sleepy eyed one? My money is on the sleepy-eyed.

Fr. Mike Hegarty





OK... let's talk about old pictures! I'm the pious one btw ;-), Drew Capponi is the other one, who looks like he's asleep. In his defense it was an outdoor Mass and probably 100 degrees.


Tom,

All well and good regarding the NEW ERA - SAME PASSION - MORE MONEY topic. But do you have any idea when we loyal loyal Hawks will be given the opportunity to discover our fate? Put another way, may we have the envelope, please!

I ask you because I choose not to bother the guy from UConn nor have him bother me any more than he already has.

Peace,

PJB
SJC Class of 1964


Stay tuned P. Always a huge undertaking to distribute 3,200 tickets every year when they're not reshuffling the deck. Hopefully the larger ticket office will help.

Tom,

It is really unbelievable to me that a year has passed since my last very special birthday (coming up on 22nd). That was a great visit. You had to rough it a bit in LPG, but you were thrown right into the middle of our community life, with chances to also see Pandabir, the Bordor chapel (with that great Mass and dancing), Basahatu, etc...If you had come to visit me here at XLRI, they would bave given you great private rooms, but there would not have been the level of immersion which you got.

I can really never express how special the whole visit was for me. So again and again thanks you for getting the great idea and pulling it off with Johnny and the Klarichs,

Christ's Peace!
John, S.J.



A much younger 6th Man with uncle John Deeney, SJ.

Some help needed, Tom.

Do you have the e-mail address of J Kevin O'Neill. A Hawk from Langhorne, Pa, now in Naples, FL. He sent me a check in my name. Our treasurer says clearing it will be a big problem. - Send it back and have him send a new one to Jesuit Missions, Balt. If I have his email id that makes it easier for me.

My birthday brought back great memories of our celebration last year, the happiest birthday I had in India. We had a great Mass, then I remember vividly you and Johnny coming up with your books and gifts. I had fun showing the speaking card to the candidates. The biggest book you gave I did not get through, but I thoroughly enjoyed the others. Recently I went through He Leadeth Me - Walter Ciszek, SJ. A great book.

Thanks for you generous gift to Dhanur. It came in very handy and helped him get back one of his mortgaged fields. No need to give him any more. His situation starts to clear with his daughter in law teaching in the LPG high school, and his sons getting eligible to get jobs. That's about it for now. I hope that all goes well with you, your wife, dad, and sister.

Christ's Peace!
John, S.J.






HAPPY BIRTH DAY FATHER! If my wife didn't threaten me with divorce Johnny and I would have been back again this year. Looking into your request about the check.

Immersion indeed! Wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I doubt they have lizards in the showers at XLRI ;-) That Mass in Ho at St. Paul Miki was amazing. Lucinda bought me a frame made in India and I have the picture of you and Fathers Greg, Romo, Martin and Hilarius concelebrating Mass so I am reminded of you and our Jeb buddies, and what you do AMDG, every day. I am praying you can come back to Balto for your 70th!


Hi Tom,

I'm a little late in thanking you for the tickets last week for my daughter and her boyfriend. They thoroughly enjoyed the show. Could you add Erin to the list to receive your emails? Thanks and enjoy the rest of the summer - it's been beautiful!

Eileen

Erin has been added and I'm glad she enjoyed the show. Now we have to teach her the SJU fight song ;-)

Tom,

My e-mail/computer has been down for almost a month. I'm just about getting by. I wanted to know the date that they are going to dedicate the "field house".

Hope all is well.

Ralph Gilmore

The official dedication will take place on October 17th. The first game will be when Hawk alum Bruiser Flint brings in his Drexel Dragons on November 13th.

Dear Tom,

It was with great joy and gratitude to God, that I was called to Ordination of the Diaconate on April 30, 2009 at Holy Trinity Church in Washington, D.C. Ordination to the Holy Priesthood will take place on September 13, 2009 at 7:30pm at Holy Trinity Church in Georgetown.

I’ve been residing at Georgetown University in preparation for Ordination. During my time at Georgetown, in addition to my study for the Priesthood, I have continued the mission for NTWH to provide healing arts for persons with disabilities.In direct response to the ever increasing amounts of Veterans coming home from the Iraqi and Afghanistan Wars with both mental and physical disabilities, I have extended NTWH to the Wounded Warriors in our military.

Please donate to our own grassroots stimulus package for the recovery of our programs at NTWH. One of our first goals is to re-open the Belson Bakery to focus on the returning veteran.Please visit www.active.com/donate/ntwh which will take you to NTWH’s fundraiser page where you can contribute and/or share this announcement with your friends and family.

If you care to write a check (payable to NTWH), please mail to the following address:


Rick Curry, S.J.
Wolfington Hall, Jesuit Residence
Georgetown University
Washington, D.C. 20057


This Jesuit ROCKS, and he's not only a StJ alumnus but a Shield of Loyola recipient as well! Congrats Father ;-)



Br. Curry lecturing at Georgetown Prep, and as Dr. Sorensen on Mr. Monk gets a new shrink.


For info on Br. Curry's National Theatre Workshop of the Handicapped

For more on Br. Curry Person of the Week: Rick Curry, SJ - ABC News

To read his speech at Santa Clara University Rick Curry, S.J. Life's Bread - Santa Clara Lecture



Tom,

Thanks for making mine the lead off of your e-mail section.

I must have been under the influence when I used an apostrophe to make the plural of “e-mail”.

What would Mr. Makurath have said about that?!

Apologies…

Mark


Do it again and I'll make you diagram the sentence on the blackboard ;-0





Johnny looking resplendent in crimson, Dad still tangled up in blue.



TB:

I know the Chris Matthews thing was a painful awakening in terms of seeing SJU in a new light.

I hope that this weekend's unveiling of the new Ramsay Center will rejuvenate your feelings about the school's leadership. A new facility has been talked about (wished for) for a long time, but Fr. Lannon got it done. And he did it without sacrificing the school's soul (i.e. DuPont Pavillion). Could he have done it any better? The building remains a natural part of the campus architecture, bears the names of memorable SJU people, and gives Phil a venue to aid in recruiting.

Ticket holders still have some mud-wrestling to do, but in the end they will rather be in the building than remain outside arguing about seat location. I am happy for you all.

Regards,
John

Thanks, and good luck with our boy at Paul VI. Thought you'd get a kick out of this one... Creative Minority Report: I Hope The Tuition Isn't Very High.


Been an exciting summer for 44...

Mrs. 44 cleaned out my closet. All Snickers and I had to do was say "donate or keep". The Jameeracle on 54th Street t-shirt got a "definitely keep". St. Vincent dePaul got the most.



Hooked up with my buddies from NE Philly at the Pennypack Park Concert Series. It was worth every dollar spent. Here come the jesters, 1,2,3...





Took in my cousin's surprise birthday party in Harrisburg. Happy Birthday Bo...





Great to see all the McGarritys, especially Uncle John and Aunt Marguerite. The pride of the PRR, Transfiguration Parish in West Philly and 91 years young...







And as a public service announcement I had Mrs 44 take a pic of this sign. It means if you're in the outside lane, and no one is in front of you, and there's a black Dodge Charger behind you... get over. This goes for all Jerseyites driving on 1-95, the Schuykill, the Blue Route, and the PA Turnpike, and the Pennsy drivers on the AC Expressway, I-295 and especially Route 73 - where you'll notice you CAN'T make a left anyway. This goes double for the Delaware drivers as they always seem confused no matter where they are.

3 comments:

  1. You are the man!!! Now please tell me you plan to make a celebrity appearance so we can have a cold one together at the shore??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Love the old photo (of Mass)from my mom's house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom: This is in connection with the comments from the person (Ghost of St. Mary Laurian, CSFN) who wrote the note to you expressing his disappointment in the “Seating Program” devised by the SJU Athletic Department.

    I am not going to comment about the ‘Seating Program.” I do think, however, that he is way off base in his description of the fans, older than he, or those who attend the games and don’t behave the way he thinks they should.

    I’m happy that there are fans that have shown a long-time involvement with the program and have been able to provide the financial aid to keep it going at a high level. You might say that they are now being rewarded for their loyalty and sacrifices. Because they may not stand up and shout as often as, or as loud as, some others, or do not paint their faces, or enjoy meeting at the pubs before or after the games, does not mean they are not as passionate about the team that represents their school

    I think it is wrong to classify alumni who comport themselves in a more subdued way while attending the games and who are able and want to pay for an upgraded seat as, “rich egotistical jerks”. I’m sure most of these good people worked hard and earned their secure financial place.

    An overwhelming number of fans who will be sitting in what will be classified as “premium seats,” are the same people who step up and support SJU projects, add prestige and character to its good name, and haven’t missed a basketball game for decades. They are the “REAL Hawk faithful” More than that, they are the same people who did in their youth what “Ghost of…… is doing now at the games. For every “The Hawk Will Never Die” he shouts, they have shouted it at least twenty times more. For every referee he blasts, they have done it more. For every game he has seen, they have witnessed many, many more. But, this is not about this old guy(me), it’s merely to suggest that he is dead wrong in labeling his fellow alumni as bad people for participating in what the administration deems to be necessary.

    At this writing, I have no idea how I will fare in the point system. I hope I earned a decent location!

    -------Stan Glowacki

    ReplyDelete