Sunday, August 23, 2009

Consubstantially oblated




Prepare yourselves for a new Roman Catholic Mass. Yup... that old Mass, approved by Pope Paul VI, I guess, was flawed. Get ready to sound like a protestant as you sort through the new missal on Sunday.

My uncle Jack Hanrahan never attended Mass after Vatican II and the change from Latin to the vernacular. I'm beginning to see why. As an old altar boy I can, like most of you, say the Mass by memory.. our parts as well as the priest's. Soon to be gone though, along with the comfort it always brought me. The Confiteor, Memorial Acclamation, Suscipiat Dominus, Apostles' Creed, the Gloria, Sign of Peace -- all changed, I guess, so we can understand things better, like the term "consubstantial with the Father" in the "new" Nicene Creed.

The Vatican never called me on this but I'll give them my advice anyway. It's not broken so don't feel the need to fix it. We are closing our churches at a rapidly alarming rate -- not really good for spreading the Faith, is it? We have bishops living in mansions while we close our Catholic schools for lack of money -- not really good for passing on our faith traditions, is it? Instead of using our priests to administer the sacraments to the Faithful, or to evangelize to those who don't know of Christ... they are busy re-translating the Mass so we may hear familiar terms like "consubstantial" and "graciously accept this oblation of our service." To see all the proposed changes click USCCB - Roman Missal Examples. Some are so ridiculous it almost seems as if the translators were getting paid by the amount of words they changed.

I'm not a theologian, nor a linguist, so what do I know? I know this was the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass that you gave to me, wasn't it? But I'll tell you this -- I knew and loved my Mass. In a secular age when it is becoming more difficult to attract people to Mass, or keep those in the pews -- they, the bishops, decide to make that more difficult by undertaking something that was unnecessary -- and stand to lose a few more souls. Do they want to thin the ranks further?

The answer is that Catholics like being Catholic. For the last 30 years the hierarchy and the clergy have done just about everything they could to drive the laity out of the church and have not succeeded. It seems unlikely that they will ever drive the stubborn lay folk out of the Church because the lay folk like being Catholic.

~ Fr. Andrew Greeley

Well I have no place else to go either so stay I will, and will to learn a "new" Mass. Below find the answer from the US Bishops on why we need a new translation for the Mass. I read it twice and was unable to find the answer.

Bone up on the new Nicene Creed, coming to a Catholic Church near you, sometime in 2011, whether you like it or not.

AMDG,

44




The Missale Romanum (Roman Missal), the ritual text for the celebration of the Mass, was promulgated by Pope Paul VI in 1970 as the definitive text of the reformed liturgy of the Second Vatican Council. That Latin text, the editio typica (typical edition), was translated into various languages for use around the world; the English edition was published in the United States in 1973. The Holy See issued a revised text, the editio typica altera, in 1975. Pope John Paul II promulgated the third edition (editio typica tertia) of the Missale Romanum during the Jubilee Year in 2000. Among other things, the third edition contains prayers for the celebration of recently canonized saints, additional prefaces for the Eucharistic Prayers, additional Masses and Prayers for Various Needs and Intentions, and some updated and revised rubrics (instructions) for the celebration of the Mass. To aid the process of translation of the Missale Romanum, editio typica tertia, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments issued Liturgiam Authenticam, in 2001, an Instruction on the vernacular translation of the Roman Liturgy which outlines the principles and rules for translation. In 2007, the Congregation for Divine Worship issued the Ratio Translationis for the English Language, which outlined the specific rules for translation in English.


The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the Only Begotten Son of God, born of the Father before all ages. God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father; through him all things were made. For us men and for our salvation he came down from heaven, and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and became man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate, he suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures. He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead and his kingdom will have no end. And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son, who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. And one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. I confess one baptism for the forgiveness of sins and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. The assessment that the explanation supplied by the Bishops is lacking is an understatement. Oh well, chalk it up to obedience and cowboy up. Pleanty of people will bark simply b/c they have to learn a new reciation. I don't mind that, but it just seems that this is all a little peculiar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony T.D. DuldulaoOctober 21, 2009 at 11:45 AM

    Wow I did not know this...I just got my son on the alterboys (server..come on its alter boy people..lol) list and he serves mass in our parrish, Good Shepherd. Man I wish I was ther for the opening of the Center, Jeannie, Chuck Sack's wife, Facebooked me and said...that she wished I were their to flap my wings too...lol. I love everything you do to keep us informed, since we not so lucky people do not live in Philly....you are our eyes ears...and of course heart as you cheer OUR Hawks.Oh on a side note..I work downtown in san diego at the California Western School of Law, and I attend mass everyday at noon...at the Cathedral of San Diego...named...what else..Saint Joseph's. so a pray always goes out to our school, our basketball family and the HAWKS.

    Tony D - The Hawk 91'

    ReplyDelete